- Carbon trading (cap and trade system) is said to be by some the ultimate global warming solution.
- Carbon trading provides economic incentives to reduce pollution- what ever it takes, I think! The governing body sets the cap (the amount each group is allowed to pollute) and issues that amount of credits. If they exceed this level then they have to purchase credits. The aim is to reduce the amount of pollution, so you have credits to trade. The crucial thing is the level the cap is set at.
- What ever it is, we need to get onto it- carbon trading or the less popular carbon tax. Legislation, rules, regulations, incentives, tax advantages, investments! Now!
- Global warming is an international problem and needs to solved with international coordination and cooperation and that is what Kyoto is doing. There are teething problems expected and we can learn from Europe and set the cap at an appropriate level so as to not drop the price of carbon.
The longer we leave setting standards, there is an increased chance of having international tariffs placed upon us for carbon intensive goods and services.
- The solutions are many and need to be implemented immediately- no more pussy footing, no more research and reports needed - enough!